Second XI Reports

A.C. Guitars End on High Note

Last Saturday A.C. Guitars Kingholm played their last match of the season at home to The Tryst (Stenhousemuir 2nd XI) and finished on a successful note with an emphatic nine wicket win.

The Tryst batted first scoring 88 all out in 29 overs. Skipper Chris Foster used six bowlers and 13 year-olds Fergus Bainbridge and Rory Mcleod were particularly impressive, taking three wickets between them. Other wicket takers were Ian Naysmith with two and Raj Shyam, Foster and Daniel Veitch capturing one each.

Sharp fielding led to four catches being pocketed and one by Naysmith was an absolute blinder.

Chris Foster

The Saints second string knocked off the runs in 15 overs, only losing the wicket of Daniel Veitch for 6. Foster batted positively finishing on 50 not out with Andy Veitch at the other end helped to finish the job.

A.C. Guitars Kingholm finished the season in better shape than they started as competition for places meant youth got its opportunity. The introduction of a younger element in this side definitely improved the fielding, especially the catching.

The Iain Dalling Wealth Management Man of the Match award was shared by Fergus Bainbridge and Rory McLeod for bowling 12 overs each and picking up three wickets between them for just 35 runs.

Scores: The Tryst 88 all out (F.Bainbridge 2-18, I.Naysmith 2-17) : A.C. Guitars Kingholm 89 for 1( C.Foster 50 n.o., A.Veitch 13 n.o.)


302 Runs But No Byes

A.C. Guitars Kingholm played Anniesland (Glasgow Accies 2nd XI) last Saturday at Kingholm Park.

In spite of arriving late with no team sheet, Anniesland amassed 302 for 7 wickets in their 50 overs. One of their openers scored 124 and two of their other batsmen scored heavily against a bowling attack that produced too many ‘gimme’ balls. There were a lot of wides conceded but it has to be added that the away side’s interpretation of what constituted a wide and removing lbw from the equation as a legitimate method of dismissal did make it harder for the home team.

Best of the bowlers were Derek Heron and skipper Chris Foster who each picked up two wickets. The other wicket takers were Daniel Veitch with two and Kieran Moore with one. Mention must be made of Matty Moss’s wicket keeping. Not allowing one bye to accrue out of a total of 302 was quite remarkable.

In reply openers Reece McNay and Foster batted confidently against an accurate away attack, and 43 were put on the board in 11 overs before Foster was caught for 26. McNay followed shortly afterwards, bowled by a good yorker.

The home side’s best partnership of 53 then ensued, Andy Veitch and Heera Sharma scoring 21 and 20 respectively. Moss also batted well at No. 6 contributing 23 runs. With Ian Naysmith adding 17 and Kieran Moore producing some lusty blows, A.C. Guitars Kingholm batted out the 50 overs, finishing on 180 for 8, 122 runs short.

The John Walker & Son Man of the Match was awarded to Matty Moss for his 23 runs and immaculate wicket keeping.

Scores: Anniesland 302 all out : A.C. Guitars Kingholm 180 for 8


Catches Win Matches

Last Saturday A.C. Guitars, after three successive weather-affected cancellations, finally travelled to Irvine to play Marress (Irvine 2nd XI) in bright weather.

Skipper Chris Foster on calling incorrectly was immediately asked to bat first on a pitch which appeared to be as dead as a dodo due to overuse.

This early assessment proved correct as the ball hardly rose above ankle height, making batting very tricky but Saints batted for 34 overs scoring 89 all out.

Opener Reece McNay and number three batsman Andy Veitch both played watchful innings, reining in their natural attacking tendencies to put on 31 runs. Both fell for 19 runs apiece to make the 47 for 3. Another couple of quick wickets fell, but experienced Matty Moss and Sandy McNay then put on 30 priceless runs to bring the total up to 81. Unfortunately both perished in quick succession and, with the tail not wagging, Saints were all out for 89.

As the pitch was deteriorating the visitors knew that a couple of early wickets could prove crucial to an unlikely win. Foster decided to use his bowlers in short bursts, and this proved decisive.

Opening bowler Daniel Veitch took the first key wicket of Marress’s best batsman, opener R. Stewart who played a powerful shot off his legs in the air but was wonderfully pouched by 13 year old Fergus Bainbridge at square leg.

This proved to be the catalyst for further dismissals when spin bowler McNay trapped the other opener D. Ingram on the back foot lbw for 3, and then having Stewart’s replacement batsman well caught behind by wicketkeeper Moss.

Raj Shyam bowled a tight spell without much luck and a partnership of 40 between M. Ingram and N. Sauiborrahman was starting to turn the momentum of the match in the home team’s favour.

However the return of opening bowlers Foster and Veitch at different ends paid off. Foster finally bowled Ingram and youngster Bainbridge took another pressure catch off the bowling of Veitch to remove the dangerous Sauiborrahman to settle the outcome.

Irvine were all out for 77 in the 25th over, leaving A C Guitars victorious by 12 runs. Foster and Veitch each captured 3 wickets, but this was a fine team performance by A.C .Guitars Kingholm. The fielding was excellent and Fergus Bainbridge’s two match-winning catches deservedly earned him the John Walker & Son Annan Man of the Match.

Scores: A.C. Guitars Kingholm 89 allout (R.McNay 19, A.Veitch 19, M.Moss 10,S .McNay 10) : Irvine 77 all out (C. Foster 3-13, D. Veitch 3-19, R. McNay 2-23)


A C Guitars Edged Out In Close Contest

A C Guitars Kingholm (St. Michael’s CC 2nd XI) played host to Dean Park (Renfrew 2nds) on Saturday past at Kingholm Park. Unfortunately rain had got under the covers during the week making the pitch damper than normal.

On such a surface, the side winning the toss and batting second would have a distinct advantage, as by the time the second innings commenced the pitch will have dried out, making stroke play a lot easier.

That was how the match transpired, skipper Chris Foster losing the toss and his side being consigned to bat first in tricky conditions.

A C Guitars Kingholm scored 113 all out in 33 overs. The only batsman to master the pitch in both teams was Nomi Butt, who probably played one of his best knocks for the

Man of the Match – Nomi Butt

club, scoring 60.

Butt stopped the good ball, or placed it into gaps in the field and was merciless on any poor delivery, hitting it to the boundary. In his score of 60 there were nine fours and one six, and he was the sixth wicket to fall with the score on 91, having unluckily played on.

The only other home batsman to reach double figures was Derek Heron with 11, and he was a victim of a stunning caught and bowled. A number of batsmen fell to rash shots and others to the vagaries of the pitch, but at least Butt’s fine knock had given the home team a total to defend.

In reply, Saints opening attack of Foster And Farrukh Naqvui bowled tightly but weren’t helped by a couple of crucial dropped catches, which denied them the chance to make early inroads into Dean Park’s other top order batsmen.

It wasn’t until the 17th over that the home team made the breakthrough, a sharp pick up and throw by Heron removing opening bat M Majeed, the score being on 37.

Heron couldn’t be kept out of the action initiating another two run outs, the batsmen involved oblivious to his powerful throwing arm. He then came on to bowl first change and snaffled the wickets of P and Mo Majeed, while Raj Shyam bowled opener H. Siddiq.

At 86 for 6, the game was in the balance but 15 year old R. Khan and V. Reddy, who chanced his arm, scored the necessary runs to give Dean Park a four wicket victory.

This was a closely fought and sporting match which went the visitors’ way, but if the coin had fallen on the other side, the result might well have been different.

The Man of the Match award which was sponsored by True Wealth Potential was awarded to Nomi Butt for an outstanding innings on a difficult pitch.

Scores: A C Guitars Kingholm: 113 all out (N. Butt 60) : Dean Park: 116 for 6. H. Siddiq 18 ; Heron 2-17)

A C Guitars Kingholm Claim First Away Win Of The Season

Last Saturday A C Guitars Kingholm travelled to Larbert to play Tryst (Stenhousemuir 2nd XI).

On viewing the green surface which showed an inch of grass on it where the stumps were placed, the away team were pondering whether the home team’s lawnmower had also been misappropriated during the week. Skipper for the day Derek Heron immediately put the home team into bat on winning the toss, hoping that the pitch would play as it looked.

During the team huddle before the start of the game, congratulations and a round of applause was given to 14 year old Ronan Wilson for deservedly making his first senior appearance for the club.

The Tryst started positively putting bat to ball and thirty was on the scoreboard quickly before the first wicket fell when opening bowler Heron had C. Halcrow caught at cover point by the sure hands of Mike Lumb. Tryst’s second wicket fell the very next ball when K. Simpson was deceived in the flight and was bowled.

Tanzeel Ur Rehman, operating in tandem with Heron, bowled his usual economical spell and took the third wicket. Heron finished a good spell of bowling taking another wicket, Raj Shyam pocketing the catch on offer at mid on.

Daniel Veitch2
Daniel Veitch

As the pitch started to show a few of the expected demons of variable bounce, change bowlers Daniel Veitch and Shyam were licking their lips and put the ball in the right places to take the last six wickets to fall. Veitch claimed four wickets, his most consistent and best bowling spell of the season, and arguably his best spell for the club so far. Shyam, using the wind to aid his inswing bowling, claimed the other two.

The Tryst finished 92 all out in 38 overs, A C Guitars definitely accomplishing their best fielding and bowling display so far in this league campaign. Mention must be made of wicket-keeper Matty Moss who produced a polished display, miraculously only conceding one bye on a pitch where the ball came through at either at ankle or head height. Ronan Wilson also fielded both competently and enthusiastically throughout the innings.

In reply, the away side knew serious concentration and batting technique were required to achieve their first away win of the season.

Openers Heron and Lumb got the away team off to a good start, taking some quick singles with good running between the wickets and Lumb playing some exquisite late cuts. The opening partnership had accumulated 38 runs before Heron fell for 15, deceived by a sharp inswinging yorker.

Lumb was batting confidently, but 38 for 1 quickly became 69 for 4, with Rehman (12), Moss (1), and Sharma (1) all back in the pavilion.

Lumb was joined by 15 year old Reece McNay and the pair scored the 24 runs needed for victory, McNay coping with the pressure admirably in support and producing a couple of classy cover drives in his 15 not out. Lumb left the field having scored a gutsy and invaluable 32 not out.

The Man of the Match award which sponsored by Iain Dalling True Wealth Potential was a close run contest. Eventually it was agreed that it would be jointly awarded to Mike Lumb for his solid batting, Daniel Veitch for his best bowling spell for the club, and to Ronan Wilson for an enthusiastic and mature debut in 50 over cricket.

Scores: The Tryst 92 all out (C. Moses 29 ; Veitch 4-11, Heron 3-36, Shyam 2-11) : A C Guitars Kingholm 93 for 4 (M. Lumb 32 n.o, D . Heron 15, R. McNay 15 n.o, T. Ur Rehman 12.)


A C Guitars Continue Winning Streak

Last Saturday, A C Guitars Kingholm entertained Williamfield (Stirling County 2nds) at Kingholm Park, with the ground looking in fine condition especially the outfield, a far cry from the days when cricket was first played there.

On winning the toss, Williamfield took first lease of a firm pitch against the varied opening attack of seamer Tanzeel Ur Rehman – making a welcome return to the side – and off spinner Derek Heron. Runs didn’t materialise quickly for the away side – only 18 off the first 10 overs. Heron was especially unlucky when a couple of early chances were not pocketed and only conceded 12 runs although remaining wicketless.

The initial wicket came with the first change in the bowling, the experienced Graeme McKirdle, who was back from a knee operation, bowling F. Martin. Fellow opener I. Wilkinson, who has consistently scored against Saints then fell for 28 also to McKirdle with the score on 69.

That was the last wicket to fall for 18 overs as skipper Chris Foster juggled his bowling about to try and get the breakthrough.

Although Foster bowled his usual tight spell, it was Raj Shyam who captured the third wicket with the score on 113. The last five wickets contributed 70 runs, with Ur Rehman, Liam Rogerson, and Ryan Geddes capturing one each, and Shyam taking a further two. The Williamfield innings closed on 183 for 8 off their 50 overs.

Considering how warm it was, the fielding was alert and Finlay Jack was particularly outstanding.

In reply A C Guitars Kingholm started positively. Heron and McKirdle put bat to ball, adding 60 runs in 14 overs, before McKirdle was caught for 27, due more to muscle fatigue after his earlier bowling exertions than a good ball. Heron was joined by one of

Nomi 3
Nomi Butt drives against Williamfield

the centurions from a couple of weeks ago, Nomi Butt, who continued his recent good form and the pair put on 25 before Heron was bowled for an accomplished 35.

Butt and Heera Sharma then produced some aggressive to put the match out of the reach of the away side. The third wicket yielded 75 runs before Sharma was bowled for 29. Butt finished 68 not out, and the match weas won in the 32nd over by 7 wickets.

The Iain Dalling True Wealth Potential Man of the Match award was jointly won by Nomi Butt for his excellent innings and Derek Heron for a fine all round effort.

Now that some of the influential senior players have returned to the fray, the side is starting to look a lot more competitive.

Scores: Williamfield 183 for 8  (V. Machana 47, I. Wilkinson 28; R. Shyam 3-32, G. McKirdle 2-22) : A C Guitars Kingholm 187 for 3 (N. Butt 68n.o, D. Heron 35, H. Sharma 29, G. McKirdle 27)


Sensational Win for Kingholm as Foster Stars

After a disappointing run of five home games, A C Guitars Kingholm hoped to end it with their first win of the season. Both A C Guitars and Marress were winless in 2017, so this fixture meant a lot in terms of both team morale as well as league position. Upon losing the toss (again), skipper Chris Foster and his side were sent in to bat by the opposition, which turned out to be somewhat of a blessing in disguise…

With just four recognised batsmen in the A C Guitars side as well as five U17’s, not many were anticipating a high total especially when openers Connor Lynch (11) and Derek Heron (3) departed early, leaving Saints on just 27-2.

Chris Foster

What happened next was just sensational. Numan Butt came in at 3, followed by captain Chris Foster at 4, and they set about putting runs on the board. Foster was playing slightly more conservatively than usual, knowing that he had 40 overs to bat, while Butt was finding the ropes regularly. Helped by some very good running between the wickets, the pair were piling the pressure on Marress in the field. Butt made up for going cheaply in previous weeks, hitting a stunning century (six sixes, eight fours) before departing soon after for 110.

This third-wicket partnership of 167 propelled Saints from 27-2 to 193-3, with almost half the innings still to come. With Butt gone it was up to Foster to keep the run rate up. Aided by partners Daniel Veitch (11), Heera Sharma (10), Dylan Muir (38) and Finlay Jack (18), Foster hit a mammoth 152 not out, as Saints reached a gigantic total of 393-7 from 50 overs. 152 was testament to Foster’s consistent performances for Saints all season, regularly hitting 40/50 runs, but failing to capitalise further. 152 could have easily been 200 had the boundaries not been so far out, meaning Foster had to run for 92 of the 152 runs he hit, which included 15 fours. Although taking the limelight, credit must also be awarded to Numan Butt for his contribution, keeping Saints going at almost 10 an over through a crucial period of the game.

Chasing 394 was always going to be an impossible task for Marress, especially after Levi White and Derek Heron had seen off openers Ingram and Wilson for 20 and 2 respectively. N. Sahiburrahman (65) and G. Owens (47) were the only two batsmen of note to get a decent total, before Chris Foster took the wicket of Sahiburrahman  and Ryan Geddes got the wicket of Owens. The remaining seven batsmen all struggled to get any runs, with wickets falling for Daniel Veitch and Daniel Turner on top of Levi White and Ryan Geddes getting another each. Marress ended on 212-8 from their 50 overs, as A C Guitars Kingholm picked up their first win of the season, and an emphatic one at that, winning by 181 runs.

There wasn’t a huge debate about the John Walker & Sons Man of the Match Award, Chris Foster winning it with his 152 not out and crucial wicket to go with it. However, this was a team effort with juniors contributing almost 50 runs, as well as six of the eight wickets. But that can’t take anything away from Foster’s efforts, which were nothing short of sublime.

Scores: A C Guitars Kingholm 393-7 (C. Foster 152 not out, N. Butt 110, D.Muir 38 ; C. Doyle 10-0-82-3, N. Sahiburrahman 10-0-66-2 : Marress 212-8 (N. Sahiburrahman 65, G. Owens 47 ; R. Geddes 6-1-22-2, L. White 10-3-38-2)


AC Guitars Kingholm Come Close

Last Saturday A.C.Guitars Kingholm entertained Glenpark (Greenock 2nds) at a sunbaked Kingholm Park, hoping for their first win of the season. Although this didn’t materialise the team put in a good performance, only falling marginally short in a match which yielded 430 runs.

Glenpark elected to bat first on a firm pitch and were given a brisk start by opener C.Pandher who has been a thorn in the flesh to AC Guitars Kingholm on numerous occasions when the teams have met. Unfortunately for Saints he contributed a quick fire 54 before being smartly run out by Finlay Jack. He gave three chances one in the first over and the home team certainly rued not having him back in the pavilion at an early stage.

In the blistering heat Skipper Chris Foster shuffled his bowlers at regular intervals, eight being used in total but couldn’t prevent Glenpark from reaching 218 all out in the 47th over.

Raj Shyam was the pick of the bowlers, bowling eight excellent overs and taking fivewickets for 30 runs. Other wicket takers were Foster, Connor Lynch, Reece McNay and Ross Lamb with one each. Six catches were taken, two by Nomi Butt and R.Mcnay, and one each by Heera Sharma and Sandy McNay.

In reply AC Guitars Kingholm had three wickets down quickly for only 36 runs after nine overs after Butt was adjudged lbw for 13.

Good innings by Ross Lamb (24) and Foster who made a hard hitting 58 brought Saints back into the match. Then a fine partnership of 60 between Sharma and Shyam brought the home side close to victory, but both fell in quick succession, Sharma for 44 and Shyam for 11 and the side were out for 212 in the 42nd over, agonisingly losing by 6 runs.

The Ian Dalling True Potential Wealth Partner Man of the Match award was won by Raj Shyam for his 5 wicket haul and valiant batting.

Scores: Glenpark 218 all out (R.Shyam 5-30) : AC Guitars Kingholm 212 all out
(C.Foster 58, H.Sharma 44, R.Lamb 24, N.Butt 13, R.Shyam 11)


Another Spirited Performance Sadly Ends In Defeat

A C Guitars Kingholm took on promoted team GHK Strathclyde last Saturday, with hopes of winning their first fixture of the 2017 campaign and moving from the bottom of the table.

Much like previous weeks, a mix of call-offs, holidays and exams meant that Saints 2nd XI was reduced to just nine players. On the bright side, Chris Foster was able to fulfil his role of captain for the first time this season, and upon winning the toss he decided to bat first.

Due to such short numbers, middle order batsman Farrukh Naqvi and sixteen-year-old Connor Lynch were sent to open the batting for A C Guitars, and put on a decent first wicket stand of 34 before Lynch was bowled for a good knock of 16.

This was Lynch’s first experience of opening the batting for Saints and looks very promising for the future as he begins to hit decent scores more consistently. Naqvi was then bowled just two overs later for 22.

Numan Butt came and went for six, before skipper Chris Foster stepped up to try and salvage something for his young Saints team. Foster was looking dangerous, and in no mood for hanging about, found the ropes at almost every opportunity.

Finlay Jack didn’t last long, bowled for a duck, while Raj Shyam made three runs before he was caught by the keeper when the ball brushed a loose piece of batting tape. Foster was still piling on the runs, and made 42 (including five fours) before being caught at deep mid-on.

Youngsters Ross Dalling, Daniel Veitch and Ryan Geddes made 6, 8 and 1 respectively, the latter finishing not out. This brought the Saints total to 117, a fairly decent score considering they batted with just nine players, including five juniors. The total could have been higher had Butt and Jack made better contributions, however, it was at least defendable in practice.

A C Guitars set out to attack GHK in the opening overs as captain and vice-captain, Foster and Jack, opened the bowling. Both kept a tight line and length without any luck.

Through good captaincy by Foster changes of bowling at both ends led to wickets for Lynch with his first ball and Naqvi, whose varied bowling was causing GHK all sorts of problems.

Naqvi could have had a second wicket as well, had Shyam not dropped opener Callum McGlynn who at the time was on just 20. This was a key moment in the game, as McGlynn went on to make 68 not out.

Ryan Geddes, Raj Shyam, Ross Dalling and Daniel Veitch all came on for a bowl, with Dalling taking two wickets in two balls. Ultimately, this didn’t affect the overall outcome, with GHK reaching 123-4 in 30 overs and condemning Saints to yet another defeat.

MotM Chris Foster
Chris Foster

Positives that can be taken from the game were the batting of Lynch, as well as the bowling of juniors Jack, Dalling, Geddes, Veitch and Lynch.

Man of the Match went to skipper Chris Foster for his 42 runs showing many of his teammates how it’s done. However, the wait for a win continues, and A C Guitars will hope to achieve one next week when they take on Glenpark at the Kingholm.

Scores: A C Guitars Kingholm 117 all out (Foster 42 ; U. Amin 3-13, Ahmed 2-18) : GHK Strathclyde: (McGlynn 68 not out, Dalling 2-15)


A C Guitars Hit By Player Shortage

As a consequence of player unavailability, A C Guitars Kingholm suffered a home defeat to Torrance House from East Kilbride, but they at least managed to win the toss and bat first.

On a decent Kingholm batting track they unfortunately only managed to muster 87 all out, which was definitely a below par score. Derek Heron top scored with 22, with Connor Lynch 19 and Davy Fallas 16 the only other double figure scorers.

Torrance House replied positively scoring 90 for 4 in only 14.5 overs against what could best be described as a friendly Saints bowling attack, finding the numerous gaps in the field with consummate ease to win by 6 wickets.

Andy Veitch (three) and Derek Heron (one) were the wicket takers.

The John Pagan Funeral Directors Man of the Match Award went to Derek Heron for a fine all round contribution of 22 runs, one wicket from six decent overs and two fine catches.


A C Guitars Suffer League Opener Defeat

A C Guitars Kingholm (St Michael’s CC 2nd X1) travelled up to Deanpark to face Renfrew’s 2nd X1 for their opening game in the WDCU 2017 First Reserve League last Saturday with a team including five under 16’s.

16-year-old Finlay Jack was captaining the Saints team for the first time as regular captain Chris Foster, had been called up to the 1st XI and Jack didn’t get the start he’d hoped for, losing the toss and being sent into bat first.

The game started extremely slowly, as Deanpark took an extremely long time to set their field, only to go through the same long-winded process the very next ball. By the time play was interrupted due to bad weather, Deanpark had bowled just 2.4 overs in 15 minutes.

Following the resumption of play, the over rate didn’t improve. Openers Sandy McNay and Connor Bowie were doing a fine job to stay focused with such long delays between balls, as well as keeping the scoreboard ticking over. However, 14-year-old off-spinner Rafay Khan came on for Renfrew, and picked up Bowie then McNay in consecutive balls for seven and four runs respectively.

Andy Hutchison and Andy Veitch then came to the crease, the latter going cheaply for just two runs to Amir Shahzad. Reece McNay came and went without troubling the scorers, dismissed by Khan, and then the same bowler trapped Andy Hutchison lbw for what was a decent 20 runs.

Skipper Jack and Raj Shyam managed to stop the collapse temporarily, without scoring many runs in the process. Shyam was also seen off by the spin of Khan, who continued to be a real thorn in the side of Saints. Jack managed to hit the youngster for a couple of boundaries, before being slightly too audacious and getting stumped as Khan got his Michelle Pfeifer.

Wicketkeeper Matt Moss came in next, and began to find the ropes at almost every opportunity. Complimented by Levi White, the pair put on a decent partnership of 23 runs, steadying the ship slightly, before White was bowled for six.

Ryan Geddes and Dan Turner both came and went for nought, however by staying in for six overs between them they enabled Matt Moss to add to the Kingholm score, before being stranded at the crease for what was a vital 37 not out. Saints’ innings had stumbled to a conclusion of 117. Although not a great total, it was thought to be somewhat defendable thanks to Moss’ knock, which included six fours.

On taking the field, opening bowlers Finlay Jack and Levi White looked dangerous, but both opening batsmen were unfortunately dropped in the very first two overs.
White was bowling a very good line and length, and picked up the wicket he deserved, dismissing Hafeez Siddiq for just five. Raj Shyam and Connor Bowie then came on, the former bowling a very good 10 over spell going for little runs.

Saints were struggling to make a breakthrough, and bowled far too many wides, which resulted in the game slipping away from them.

Reece McNay came on and picked up two quick wickets, before 14-year-old opening batsmen Muhaymen Majeed hit the winning runs in the 30th over, as Deanpark deservedly won the game by seven wickets.

This wasn’t a great performance by Saints, especially from the bowling attack, having given away an inexcusable 37 extras, making the opposition chase significantly easier.
Looking forward, the away form produced by the team definitely needs improvement if the side are to have a good season. One positive that can be taken from the match, however, is that A C Guitars don’t have another away game until the 10th of June, and they will hope to put some points on the board at Kingholm, after remaining undefeated at home last season.

The Man of the Match went to Matt Moss for an undefeated 37, and making the game somewhat competitive.

A C Guitars begin a string of five home games in a row next week starting against Torrance House, which is likely to be another tough match.

Scores: A C Guitars Kingholm 117 all out (M. Moss 37 not out, A. Hutchison 20, R. Khan 5-18, P. Majeed 2-32) ; Deanpark 118-3 (M. Majeed 49 not out ; R. McNay 1-15)


AC Guitars Win Competitive Pre-Season Local Derby

On a surprisingly pleasant day at Kingholm Park, St Michael’s Cricket Club 2nd XI, A C Guitars Kingholm played their first and final friendly of the pre-season. Newly appointed captain Chris Foster didn’t get off to the best of starts, losing the toss and being put in to bat. There was a good blend of youth and experience in the Saints team, with as many as five U16’s playing.

Overseas professional Tom Jackson and ex-skipper Derek Heron were sent in to open the batting, the latter misjudging a delivery in the fourth over to be bowled for a mere six runs. 15-year-old Reece McNay came and went for just two, as did Numan Butt, who was caught for a three ball duck. Finlay Jack was next man in but was bowled by Pat Druce, adding just two to the total as Saints were struggling for any momentum.

Up stepped the experienced Mike Lumb to join Jackson at the crease, and the pair went about putting some runs on the board by running some quick singles to apply pressure on Galloway in the field, before they started to open up and find the ropes. By the time Lumb was bowled for a very important knock of 28, Saints were in a far better position.

Young Ross Dalling went quickly without scoring, then skipper Chris Foster took to the crease, finding the rope at almost every opportunity. Jackson was caught for a brilliant 88 runs, while Foster went for an impressive 31. Matt Moss and Ryan Geddes saw the innings out as Saints reached 180 from 40 overs.

This was an impressive total considering the mini-collapse at the start of the innings, and would of no doubt been unachievable had Mike Lumb not stepped in and added some control to the innings.

After a finely prepared lunch by the skipper’s better half, the home side went out to defend their total of 180. Captain Chris Foster and 16-year-old Finlay Jack went about their work economically, the latter picking up the first member of the McGrath family for just ten runs, adjudged lbw.

Although picking up no more wickets, Saints restricted any real runs and Galloway were on just 32 from the first 13 overs when openers Foster and Jack took a well deserved break.

The “slightly” older pairing of Derek Heron and Mike Lumb then came into the attack, and the former picked up two wickets in a good seven over spell, whilst being complimented by Lumb’s tight bowling from the other end.

Under 16 players Levi White, Reece McNay, Ross Dalling and Ryan Geddes then came on, all bowling well, with Dalling getting a wicket and McNay extremely unfortunate not to get one after going for just eight runs from five overs, including two maidens. Jack and Heron then finished off the innings after Heron grabbed the final wicket of T McGrath – well stumped by keeper Moss – to make it three for the day, as Galloway finished on 153-5.

The Man of the Match Award went to Mike Lumb, for a fantastic batting performance and a very well bowled four overs at a key stage in the match. Saints would like to thank Galloway for a competitive pre-season match once more and wish them all the very best for the coming season.

A C Guitars Kingholm travel to Renfrew this coming Saturday, in a league opener which may prove to be a challenging fixture.

Scores: A C Guitars Kingholm 180-8 (T. Jackson 88, C. Foster 31, M. Lumb 28 ; F. Conn 2-9) : Galloway CC 153-5. (M. Williams 43, T. McGrath 41 ; D. Heron 3-25)